Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Lil Dumplin

It was one of those days...rainy and cold...time to throw everything into a crock pot and keep adding throughout the day (carrots and cauliflower finally got to see light). Everything was going well until my "Romantic Comedy" moment! I brought out two containers...cornstarch and baking powder. I wanted to thicken my sauce with cornstarch so I put some gravy in a little bowl, measured in some powder and POOF!!! A science experiment before my eyes. I thought "Okay maybe all that foaming just means it's really fresh". I poured it into the pot and turned to see I had used baking powder...ahhhhhhh! I felt embarrassed...all my hard work ruined. I still added some cornstarch and began the hunt for a dumpling recipe. I figured however funky the sauce was going to be at least there would be a dumpling to enjoy. I improvised on this recipe but it turned out to be so fluffy and delicious.

Dumplings:
1 Cup of flour (I used self rising flour)
1 Teaspoon of baking powder
1 Tablespoon of butter (cold)
Salt to taste
Cold water

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Cut in butter with a knife or pastry cutter, add cold water a tablespoon at a time until it forms a lumpy dough. Spoon a dumpling size of dough on top of your casserole or stew. When it's no longer gooey it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails