Sunday, January 31, 2010

Coffee Flavored Honey


On a recent trip to Costa Rica I went to visit a coffee plantation. My friends cousin Eduardo, the plantation manager very kindly spent the afternoon showing us how the coffee plants were grown, how the beans were harvested, dried and packed ready to be shipped to the coffee roasters. It was a very enjoyable and interesting day and it made me appreciate more my morning cup of coffee after seeing how much effort and hard work went into picking the beans. These pics are of the smallest beehive I have ever seen, fixed near the door of the plantation office. The bees, only about an eighth of an inch long and sting less, entered the hive through that little round hole. Eduardo removed a part of the roof and pulled out a handful of honey, it was sweeter than normal honey but most surprisingly, it tasted like coffee. Costa Rica is a beautiful country, with wonderful people and hospitality second to none. I can't wait to return.

By John Neary

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails