Monday, December 28, 2009

The Red Slippers


I knitted these two wee hats thinking they would turn out to be two big hats for adults. But I may have used the wrong size needles so now they will fit a child. I will have to try again. I also knitted some slippers (see "Going Green" Slippers blog entry). These two items knit up very quickly, so if you have lots of slippers and hats to make then try these.

Hat Pattern:

Use 6.5 mm needles with bulky/chunky yarn.
Gauge: 12 st x 24 rows = 4" square.

Cast on 60 stitches (for slightly tighter hat, cast on 56 stitches and adjust following counts accordingly; a child's size should start 52 stitches).
Next 4 rows *K2, P2* repeat.
Next 16 rows stst to end.
To decrease:
*K2, K2tog* repeat to end (45 stitches on needle); purl row, knit row, purl row.
*K1, K2tog* repeat to end (30 stitches on needle); purl next row.
*K2tog* repeat to end (leaving 15 stitches on needle).
Purl row then cut yarn and draw end back through remaining stitches. This will leave a little hole in the top which will make it easier to attach a pompom. Sew the seam together from the inside of the hat.

By Christine Neary

1 comment:

  1. The hats look so warm and snuggly, I would love to have one, I think I have a big head so I will have to wait till you make the adult size.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails